Jen Cuthbert is a Sydney based artist who works in a range of media.
She has developed an alternate method of viewing narrative in pictorial art. Rather than viewing an image in a as a fixed moment in time in a linear narrative, she proposes that we start to view narrative in painting in terms of spatial narrative and as an ever shifting experience.
She is currently on hiatus due to new parenthood.
- 2016: Murmuration, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange
- 2015: Swinging the Lantern: Flocks, Chrissie Cotter Gallery, Camperdown
- 2010: Within the Great City (Decay), Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo
- 2005: Sewn and Blown Up, Mori Gallery, Sydney
- 2002: You’d Be Unhappy With this Martini Too, YZ Gallery, University of Western Sydney
- 2000: Winning Friends and Influencing People, T-Junction Gallery, Orange College of TAFE
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2015: Frolic (Creative Arts Alliance, Sydney), Alpha Gallery, Newtown
- 2012: National Art School Postgraduate Exhibition, National Art School, Sydney
- 2012: dis(Hons), NAS Library Stairwell Gallery, National Art School, Sydney
- 2011: Four, Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo
- 2010: Monstrosity Grand Opening Exhibition, Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo
- 2006: No War (Part 2), Mori Gallery, Sydney
- 2005: No War (Part 1), Mori Gallery, Sydney
- 2002: Sensorian, Graduation Show, University of Western Sydney
- 2004: Housebungle, Leichhardt
- 2004: One Lump or Two?, Powerhouse Youth Theatre, Fairfield (Performance Piece)
- 2003: The No Exhibition Exhibition, University of Western Sydney
- 2002: Where to Draw the Line, Graduation Show, Orange College of TAFE
- 2001: Prints, Proofs and all that Jazz, Orange Regional Gallery
- 1999: Bye the Sea, Cargo Road Winery, Orange
- 1997: Celebration of Student Artworks, Orange Regional Gallery
- 2010: Within the Great City (decay) Exhibition Review, Ryan O’Donnell.
- 2007: Cinematography for The Original music video (OGV, MP4) by Australian band Mirth
- 2006: Anatomy Drawing Workshop, University of New South Wales, Sydney. This workshop was an in depth study of human anatomy conducted for a week within the School of Medicine at UNSW.
- 2004: Work published in Sensorian (Graduation Catalogue) University of Western Sydney
- 2015 MPhil, University of Wollongong, Wollongong
- 2012: BFA (Hons.), Painting Major, National Art School, Sydney
- 2005: Graduate Diploma of Education (Visual Arts), University of Technology, Sydney
- 2004: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), University of Western Sydney
- 2002: Advanced Diploma, Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 2001: Diploma of Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 2000: Certificate IV Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 1999: Certificate IV Fine Arts (Life Drawing), Western Institute of TAFE , Orange
- 1998: Certificate III Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- Cuthbert, J 2015, Swinging the Lantern: Spatial Narrative in Visual Arts Wollongong, Australia: University of Wollongong. MPhil Dissertation.
- Cuthbert J 2015, Swinging the lantern: flocks [production notes].
- Cuthbert Jenny 2012, Influencing a Narrative in Figurative Painting through the use of Compositional Devices. Sydney, Australia: National Art School. BFA (Hons.) Exegesis.