Jen Cuthbert is an artist based in Tasmania, who works in a range of media.
She has developed an alternate method of viewing narrative in pictorial art. Rather than viewing an image as a fixed moment in time in a linear narrative, she proposes that we start to view narrative in painting in terms of spatial narrative and as an ever shifting experience.
- Murmuration: Echo, Scratch Art Space, Marrickville, NSW
- 2016: Murmuration, Orange Regional Gallery, Orange, NSW
- 2015: Swinging the Lantern: Flocks, Chrissie Cotter Gallery, Camperdown, NSW
- 2010: Within the Great City (Decay), Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo, NSW
- 2005: Sewn and Blown Up, Mori Gallery, Sydney, NSW
- 2002: You’d Be Unhappy With this Martini Too, YZ Gallery, University of Western Sydney, NSW
- 2000: Winning Friends and Influencing People, T-Junction Gallery, Orange College of TAFE, NSW
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2021: Space YZ, Campbelltown Arts Centre, as part of Sydney Festival, Sydney, NSW
- 2015: Frolic (Creative Arts Alliance, Sydney), Alpha Gallery, Newtown
- 2012: National Art School Postgraduate Exhibition, National Art School, Sydney
- 2012: dis(Hons), NAS Library Stairwell Gallery, National Art School, Sydney
- 2011: Four, Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo
- 2010: Monstrosity Grand Opening Exhibition, Monstrosity Gallery, Wooloomooloo
- 2006: No War (Part 2), Mori Gallery, Sydney
- 2005: No War (Part 1), Mori Gallery, Sydney
- 2002: Sensorian, Graduation Show, University of Western Sydney
- 2004: One Lump or Two?, Powerhouse Youth Theatre, Fairfield (Performance Piece)
- 2003: The No Exhibition Exhibition, University of Western Sydney
- 2002: Where to Draw the Line, Graduation Show, Orange College of TAFE
- 2001: Prints, Proofs and all that Jazz, Orange Regional Gallery
- 2010: Within the Great City (decay) Exhibition Review, Ryan O’Donnell.
- 2007: Cinematography for The Original music video (OGV, MP4) by Australian band Mirth
- 2006: Anatomy Drawing Workshop, University of New South Wales, Sydney. This workshop was an in depth study of human anatomy conducted for a week within the School of Medicine at UNSW
- 2015 MPhil, University of Wollongong, Wollongong
- 2012: BFA (Hons.), Painting Major, National Art School, Sydney
- 2005: Graduate Diploma of Education (Visual Arts), University of Technology, Sydney
- 2004: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), University of Western Sydney
- 2002: Advanced Diploma, Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 2001: Diploma of Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 2000: Certificate IV Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- 1999: Certificate IV Fine Arts (Life Drawing), Western Institute of TAFE , Orange
- 1998: Certificate III Fine Arts, Western Institute of TAFE, Orange
- Cuthbert, J 2015, Swinging the Lantern: Spatial Narrative in Visual Arts Wollongong, Australia: University of Wollongong. MPhil Dissertation.
- Cuthbert J 2015, Swinging the lantern: flocks [production notes].
- Cuthbert J 2012, Influencing a Narrative in Figurative Painting through the use of Compositional Devices. Sydney, Australia: National Art School. BFA (Hons.) Exegesis.